History and Historic Sites of the Valley *
Then and Now Photos *
Lost Crescenta *
Membership and Donations
The Cobb Estate
Monday, August 21st 7:00pm
La Crescenta Center for Spiritual Living
At the intersection of Dunsmore and Santa Carlotta
The Cobb Estate property in Altadena is a popular trailhead for Rubio Canyon, Mt. Lowe and the Sam Merrill Trail. But the property itself has a dynamic history. It has been:
- The site of an unsuccessful gold mine
- The grand estate and mansion of a Northwest timber baron;
- A Masonic retirement home;
- The retreat house for an order of Roman Catholic nuns;
- An investment for Hollywood comics the Marx Brothers, who tried to have it zoned and developed as a cemetery;
- The prize in a hard-fought bidding war between real-estate developers and student environmentalists.
- And the supposed site of nocturnal ghost appearances and UFO sightings.
Altadena Historical Society member Pam Wright will tell us its fascinating history.