History and Historic Sites of the Valley * Then and Now Photos * Lost Crescenta * Rockhaven * Membership
Historic Mount Wilson Observatory is an astronomical research facility located on the summit of Mount Wilson (named for Benjamin Wilson), at an altitude of 5715 feet. The observatory was established in 1904 by George Ellery Hale. The 60-inch and 100-inch telescopes housed there were the largest telescopes in the world for the first half of the 20th Century, making Mt. Wilson a Mecca for astronomers and cosmologists from around the world.
Our tour will include approximately one mile of walking, with some steps up and down. Wear sturdy shoes, remember the temperature may be 20 degrees lower on Mt. Wilson so dress accordingly (layers are always good), and the higher altitude can make walking more tiring. A water bottle is good to have, and plan to bring a picnic lunch to eat at the Skyline Park Pavilion on the grounds of the observatory, or you can purchase lunch at their Cosmic Café.
Directions: From the 210 Freeway follow Angeles Crest Highway up the mountain. Turn off on the Mt. Wilson turnoff at Red Box (about 14 miles). Drive up another 5 miles, pass the transmitter towers, and follow the “Observatory” signs through the Forest Service Gate. Park in the large parking lot at Skyline Park and walk ¼ mile to the Observatory. (The drive takes approx. 45 min. from La Crescenta.)
RSVP to Joanna at 818-248-1707
Regular meetings are held the third Monday of each month at 7:00 PM at the the Center for Spiritual Living, formerly known as the La Crescenta Church of Religious Science located at the intersection of Dunsmore and Santa Carlotta.