Robert A. Walton Cup
On Washington's birthday, February 22, 1913, Montrose was founded by two developers, J. Frank Walters and Robert A. Walton. On a bright day with good weather about 4,000 guests were welcomed to a barbeque at the new development. The founders were hoping for a bonanza of sales for their newly-graded lots, especially as a trolley line had been promised. Family connections, a few letters and a short month later the railroad was under construction from Verdugo Park to Montrose, arriving in April 1913.
Robert A. Walton was born in Asheville, NC in 1875. After serving in the Army, he moved to California and became a partner in the Frederick A. Holmes real estate company. With Holmes' retirement, Robert continued the business as Holmes-Walton Co., developing the areas now known as Montrose, La Crescenta and Oakdale. In July 1915, the citizens of those three areas were so happy with his efforts they had a ceremony and presented him with a silver cup, in honor of his contributions and vision for the new community.
Flash forward to May 2017. The Crescenta Valley Chamber of Commerce was contacted by an antique dealer in Maine who had just purchased some items including a three-handled silver cup engraved with Robert A. Walton's name. The dealer recognized the historic value of the cup and wanted to return it to its geographical home. The Historical Society was put in touch with the dealer, and verified the authenticity of the cup.
Now, 102 years after its presentation, the Robert A. Walton Cup is on its way home! Generous donors have already contributed to its purchase, and the Historical Society encourages you to join them in making possible the return of this tangible piece of our history.
Please click below to make a contribution to the purchase of the Robert A. Walton Cup.
(Select "Robert A. Walton Cup under the "Additional Donations" category)
This Month's Meeting:
Monday, October 16th 7:00pm
La Crescenta Center for Spiritual Living
At the intersection of Dunsmore and Santa Carlotta
Angels Flight is a beloved downtown landmark, but even for a tiny clattering railway, it has had a turbulent history. Her story begins in 1901 with the Yankee ingenuity of Col. James Eddy, and her rise, fall, and troubled rebirth mirrors the story of Bunker Hill in general. What was once a symbol of technological utopianism became mired in a noir shadow-world, before being wiped away by urban renewal. Of course she was at last returned to Bunker Hill, but this simple return-pockmarked with disruption and death-displays all the hallmarks of modernity's downfall.